Thursday, May 6, 2010

The count down begins....

The news has spread rather quickly. A lot faster than I expected, honestly. First thing this morning I get a phone call from one of our lawyers who needs to make a trip to very rural location, and one of the first things he said when I answered the phone was "So, I hear you're leaving us! THAT SUCKS!!"

It's really hard for me to focus on my work knowing that I'm not going to be here much longer. But, with the incredibly intense work ethic I have ingrained in my DNA, I simply cannot leave a job knowing that I did not give %150 at the end of each day. So, even when I'm "slacking off", I still manage to get quite a bit of work done.

Didn't help that I had the certifiers from the capitol calling me all day regarding payroll. For fucks sake, I honest to God hate our state's payroll system, and cannot wait until I no longer have to deal with this crap. Even working in Barrow, Alaska processing payroll that includes over-time, double time, and even triple time for the slope workers is going to be a hell of a lot easier than dealing with these jackasses. (Which totally just reminded me... I need to get my resume up tonight!!)

I started my day off peppy, happy, and eager to face the day. Probably had something to do with the fact that I now have an end in sight, I don't feel trapped in this loser of a job anymore, and that huge crushing weight of an over-whelming work load is gone. By the end of my day, I had decided to clear out my work station and bring all of my personal stuff home. I know, I still have 3 weeks left on this job, but I want to avoid that last day, walk of shame while carrying my box of personal stuff. On my last day, I will walk out of that office building, burden-free, carrying only my head, held high.

I did have one very amusing moment towards the end of the day though, that I absolutely HAVE to share.

My son calls me at 3:30 this afternoon to tell me that they have an orchestra concert tonight at the school at 7:00. Now, my child knows damn well that I absolutely hate it when they wait until the last possible moment to tell me of things they need to attend. Such as field trips that they conveniently forget to mention until the morning of, when they hand me the permission slip as they're supposed to be walking out the door. I thought I had nipped this problem in the bud when they wound up spending several fun filled field trips in the school library instead.

Unfortunately though, my children have a pretty absent-minded orchestra teacher, who keeps rescheduling these things at literally the last minute.

So, my son calls me, and I proceed to tell him (in a very loud voice) that there is no way he is going, that he cannot wait until 3 and half hours before he is supposed to be there to inform me of this, that I am sick and tired of him expecting to be able to wait until the last possible moment to inform me of these things, that it's just not going to happen, he's not going, there's no way he can expect me to just drop everything in order to take care of these things, and so forth and so on.

Well, I obviously was not thinking about how this sounds and how it pertains to my job (honestly, I was just trying to prove a point that yes, my children are in fact inconsiderate of people's jobs and DO in fact wait until the last possible second to inform me of these things...), until that is, my boss is standing next to me questioning me about who I'm speaking to. When I tell her that I'm talking to my son, she heaves this HUGE sigh of relief and then says "Oh God! I thought you were talking to a traveler!!!"


If only I were allowed to speak to our employees like that. I would have vented a LOT of frustration a very long time ago, and probably would not be leaving my job right now!!

~GG

No comments:

Post a Comment