Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fuck this. I quit.

It took all the strength and common sense in me to not pack all of my stuff up and stick a post -it note on my monitor that read "Fuck this. I quit." and walk out. It really, honestly did.


With all the bullshit that I constantly put up with, it took something so simple to piss me off to the point of saying "I'm done." Finally.

I got an email from my supervisor today that told me that anytime we process an employee move, a copy of the forms need to be moved into a folder labeled as "Moves", and that this needs to be done each time. She then basically drew me a map of where on the local drives to find this mysterious folder, and then, in detail told me how to right-click, click "copy", go back to the "Moves" folder, right-click and click "paste". Seriously.

So first of all, considering that I've processed a grand total of 3 employee moves in the last year and this has NEVER come up until now, how the fuck am I supposed to know this? Secondly, how the fuck was I supposed to know that folder even existed, considering that it was pretty well hidden in some recess of local drive that I never venture to? Third, and more importantly, in the time that it took you to write up this fucking stupid email that basically tells me that you think so little of my intelligence that you assume I don't know how to do a basic copy of a file, you could have done it yourself. Fuck you.

My notice went exactly like this:

"Greetings:

Please accept this email as my formal announcement of resignation from (insert office name here), starting today. My last day will be May 28th, 2010.

Please let me know how I can help make a smooth transition during my remaining time here.

Regards,

Me."

I most certainly did not want to add any "Thank you for the opportunity to work here, it's been a pleasure" kind of bullshit. Because if I was going to add that crap in, I might as well not even leave. At least that's how I feel about this crap.

This moment has been coming for quite some time. Ever since they, in not so many words so they can't get in any trouble for it, told me that basically I needed to make them my priority over my family. When I have to fight tooth and nail to attend my daughter's orchestra concert, or track meet, or when I have to argue just so I can attend parent/teacher conferences twice a school year... All I can say, is fuck you and the god damned high horse you rode in on. Don't tell me I'm not nearly invested enough in this agency and then spout off about your child's hockey game that you had to leave early for yesterday because the game took place in a stadium 50 miles away.

And let me tell you one more thing. I may have had my first child at 14 years of age. I may have dropped out of high school so I could raise the two children I had before the age of 17. And I may have gone through 2 marriages before I was able to rent a car without having to have some huge form of deposit. But let me point out the fact that while MOST young teenage mothers spend a vast majority of their life on one form of welfare or another, and while MOST (please note that I am not saying ALL), very young teenage mothers never really learn what being a mother is REALLY about, I am not, nor have I EVER come even close to this statistic. Because yes, while I did in fact drop out of high school, I still managed to get my diploma on my own terms, and not only that, I also put myself through college for that diploma that you seem to keep forgetting I have. And yes, while I have been divorced twice, let me remind you that my "failed" relationships were with a man who thought it better to have his wife fear him than love him, and secondly with a man who decided far too late that he did not want the responsibility of a wife and kids and would rather move to Nevada where it's perfectly legal to pay for sex in lieu of having an actual relationship.

That being said, I have NEVER, in my entire adult life, been in a situation where I have EVER put anyone or anything as a higher priority than my children. So yes, you can take this "precious" job, and all your "wonderful" opportunities and shove them up your cynical, hypocritical ass. Go ahead and get pissed off at me when I give more than enough notice that I'm leaving. I really don't give a flying fuck anymore.

And yes, I am perfectly aware that I am leaving you in an extremely tough situation, as there really is no one to take over my duties and responsibilities, and yes, I am aware that you can't hire anyone to replace me until after July 1st, because of the current budget constraints and the current hiring freeze through the end of the fiscal year. Perhaps now you'll understand that you are already over-working your entire staff and have loaded way to many tasks on an already exhausted work force. If you expect me to "invest" myself in a division that I have watched tell a grieving woman that she can only take half a day to attend her mother-in-law's funeral, you're sadly mistaken.

It doesn't really surprise me when I hear stories of people leaving on such bad terms with this agency that their parting words were "Peace out, bitches!" If only I were able to adequately express my disgust with this agency, perhaps, maybe THEN you would understand why your entire support staff and most of your executive staff hate this place, and upon hearing of my notice have said "You're so lucky. You're getting out."

But then again, perhaps I could just print out a copy of this blog and leave it on your chair.


~GG

1 comment: